Shabbat shalom JNR crew! And a hearty welcome to our new member, Alexandra Spencer, a friend of me mumsy.
To be sure, Jews who reside in the Georgia congressional district where the shmegegge-spewer resides, have to put up with her hateful anti-semitism. Probably not fun or funny for those folks. But, I can’t help but indulge in finding humor in this reprehensible character. First of all, I have multiple sources verifying that the Jewish Space Laser Agency has an impeccable safety record in their years of operating in strict compliance with FAA and the newly formed Space Agency regulations. Most importantly, according to a spokesperson at the Agency, “use of the laser is reserved for lighting Shabbat candles, performing precision circumcisions, and for helping the elderly locate the gallery view button on Zoom. And of course, we do not operate on Shabbat.”
Not so funny is the fact that Republican leadership supports this whack job, and most of their members actually gave her a standing ovation in a private meeting! It’s pathetic that the once proud party of “Individual accountability” must kowtow to Q-anon and the Christian right and to pass more restrictive voting laws in order to enable the last generation of majority old white guys to hang on to any semblance of power in the country. But you gotta love Joe so far whether you agree with his policies or not, he and his administration are keeping their heads down getting shit done. And I don’t wake up every day wondering what crazy bullshit tweets have undone our democracy and values. The change in tone is huge and I love the symbolism of the new President replacing the Orange Turd’s tanning booth with a Peloton bike. God bless America!
Great week for JNR news from the Forward, which has a wide range of offerings that include stolen grape juice, a deaf Rabbi, Marjorie Taylor Green and the Jewish Space Agency response, the Jewish influence on Ground Hog day, and other fun stuff! A JNR smorgasbord this week! So, here you go:
- Rikers Island grape juice theft – The Cantor at the infamous prison found himself in the middle of a black market trade war. Most interesting to me was hearing that there were ANY Jews in Rikers!
- From Twisted Sister to the Pulpit – Deaf Rabbi Darby Leigh finds his voice in Concord, MA and was inspired by the heavy metal band who he supported as a sign-language performing artist. Signing to heavy metal?
- Jews in Greens district don’t think she’s funny – The congregation has had their share of antisemitism, and has beefed up security over the last 4 years, but they are weary of her and don’t think Green is funny and don’t think the media should enable her and her platform.
- Pakistani court releases Daniel Pearl’s killer – Horrible news from Pakistan. Let’s hope enough international pressure can prevail to put him behind bars for the rest of his life.
- The Jews of Punxsutawney – Only The Forward could shed light on the Jewish impact on this holiday. Top hat and tails at the ceremony? Thank a Jewish coal miner!
- The Jewish Space Agency responds: “We didn’t start the fire” – Funny as well. Couldn’t help but borrow this as a theme for the week.
- Did the Bernie meme become sexist? – Who cares. They were pretty funny.
- An ode to Ellis Island: Review of a poem reissued recently – So dense I lost interest within the second paragraph. Read at your own peril.
And that’s a wrap for the week! And hey, let’s continue to be extra careful out there!
Brad out. https://assets.forward.com/020521.pdf