Shabbat shalom everyone!
A sunny but cold day here in Sharon, MA, where we continue to isolate ourselves in the hopes of avoiding any new and more virulent strains of Covid. And, just as you thought it might be safe to venture a brisk walk to the mailbox, we now have to worry about Jews with lasers setting the forests on fire! How awful that during the week we honor Holocaust Remembrance, we have to endure anti-semitic attacks from the whack jobs from Q-Anon. Honestly, the secular world here in the US couldn’t get any stranger when a representative from Q-Anon actually gets elected to office, threatens to kill other members of congress, and then gets rewarded for it by the Republican leadership. WTF!? What world do we live in? This is nuts. We may have flushed the Orange Turd, but the bowl will need a good scrubbing for years to come in order to rid us of the stench he left behind. (I know, i promised not to bring him up, but I couldn’t resist extending the metaphor)
But, don’t get all ongebluzen about it, The Jew News Review is here to turn that frown upside down! But, before we get to that, a big announcement to all our faithful subscribers:
The JNR Website is live! Just click here →http://www.jewnewsreview.com and you will be taken to an unparalleled website experience! You all are fortunate in being the beta testers for the site, leading up to our HUGE SUPERBOWL LAUNCH PARTY! And, incredibly, since we have pulled our Super Bowl ad this year, like other major sponsors, we now have enough budget left over to celebrate with free swag! So, check your mail box soon for a delivery with a special launch gift, courtesy of the JNR editorial staff. (I will be sending private emails to some of you for your mailing address). And hey, once you are on the website, as a thank you, be sure to click on the Follow button, which will probably appear in the lower right hand corner of your screen. By following us, you will automatically receive any updates on the blog via your email. Lucky you. And special thanks to Nathan Hirsh, our honorary web designer and all around mensch.
And now, I know you have been on shpilkes all week waiting for it, so, here is the Jew News Reviewed for the week, courtesy of The Forward:
- Who is Elliot Broidy and why did 5 Rabbis support his getting a pardon from the Orange Turd? Is Broidy a modern day Raskolnikov? Nope. Yes, he is philanthropic and has donated to some great causes, but in short, he is just another rich sleaze bag who used his money and influence to get himself a pardon.
- Is the definition of “Antisemitism” from the IHRA aiding in the “cancel culture” wars? Sorry to say, that seems to be the case. While this seems on the surface to be an esoteric argument, it has broad implications across Jewish organizations who are split over it’s adoption into federal law, which is being pushed by some Jewish organizations. And it will be interesting to see if the Biden administration adopts it or not.
- A Jewish journalist writes about Evangelicals he lived amongst for decades: Will they apologize for supporting the Orange Turd? Don’t hold your breath.
- Tu B’Shvat and Covid, what do a tree holiday and mask wearing have in common? Well, i guess they both save lives. Read more about it here.
- Ossof’s predecessors: 3 Jewish Senators from the deep south were also the first 3 Jewish Senators in the country – Their legacy is nothing to be proud of. Oy.
- The lost film masterpiece of Paul Newman, “On the Harmfulness of Tobacco” – A too long piece (started off very interesting, then i lost it) about a film directed by Paul Newman and starring Michael Strong (who?). If you are film buff, this is a good read. The film was hidden in an attic for 50 years, and probably should have stayed there. I think TCM is airing it soon.
- “A funny thing happened on the way to Stockholm” – An excerpt from the Nobel winner’s new book. Seems like a really great guy, and I enjoyed reading this, although it did make me feel a bit under-accomplished.
That’s all folks! And hey, I shouldn’t have to remind you of this, but let’s be extra careful out there!