Hello fellow Heebs, and no, i didn’t forget about last week. Jew News Review took a much needed break in order to prepare for the Passover Seder. I hope all my fellow Heebs on this email had a great Passover Seder, virtual or otherwise! And going into our 6th week of the Big Q, i hope it finds you all safe and healthy. Now for the (yawn) headlines:
– A synagogue communications director informs us about his role has evolved into a full time TV producer, and has some interesting speculation on the new normal. Could virtual connections increase interest in Jews who don’t feel Judaism “in the building” is not their cup of tea?
– One New York writer wastes too much print on why he is missing his daily commute to and from the Bronx. Only a New Yorker would think that way.
– Satire: while others may be bragging about new found hobbies (reading all of Proust! High on my list too) and past times, this writer says phooey! Mostly what he is doing is going on social media and reading about what others are doing.
– A short essay describing a virtual bris turned baby naming
– Jewish teens sound off about anti-semitism
– Wearing a mask is a mitzvah – in case you needed the talmudic and biblical permissions, here you go.
– Why on this night do we dance? Really good question. An expression of freedom? A unification of spirituality? Read on to get your answer to this troubling spiritual question
.- And Finally: Readers share their Seder stories for this Pandemic Passover.
If you are old enough to remember the hit TV show, “Hill Street Blues”, I say, “Hey, let’s be careful out there!”https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/Shabbat-NL-final-04.17.20.pdf