Hey Heebs. Shabbat Shalom!
By now, many of us dealing with this plague and its consequent isolation are going a little mechuganah, which for you yiddishly uninformed, means batshit crazy. But, alas, Jew News Review comes this week, as it does every week, to bring a little light, and hopefully a little levity, to the end of your week, as well as usher in Shabbat. So, here are a few stories worth your attention, maybe:
– Orthodox jews in new york rally to organize a blood anti-body donor program from post Covid-19 patients– Fauda, the TV program about Israeli-Palestinian life and death security threats, gets an interesting review from a Palestinian-American. BTW, the show is written by Noah Stollman, Seth’s brother, who we met with at Smadar’s house before the 3rd season aired. Great writing makes a great show! But of course, lots of controversy on both sides.
– Social distancing for the Dead Sea Scrolls? say it aint so! But alas, the famous scrolls found in the Qumram caves in the 50’s and 60’s have gone into hermetically sealed hiding during the pandemic as they prepare the museum for a thorough cleaning. Despite Google creating a digital version using NASA technology, millions flock to visit the museum to be physically near them. Interesting stuff, read all about it.
– A parent prays for summer camps to be held despite the virus. Of course, its all about the experience for the child
.- One participant in the ‘March of the Living”, an adult tour of the death camps in Poland, describes her experience, and says the virtual version can’t replace the real one. – A cute fish story with a twist ending….worth it.
– A story of radical kindness, before and after pandemic. Always nice to read about our better angels when we get a daily dose of the opposite from the orange Turd.
– Trump’s use of the phrase “Invisible Enemy” has ugly connotations for jews.- Corona virus makes flaunting wealth on social media taboo. I know i’m just a troglodyte for not having a twitter account, but for god’s sake, who really pays attention to high fashion mirror selfies and other such “influencers” on social media? I want to join anti-social media platforms from now on.
Added two newbies to the distribution this week, Jack Kane and brother Bill. Shabbat Shalom!
Hey, let’s stay healthy out there!