Happy Sunday (Rishon)! I know, based on the tons of email queries i received, that you have all been missing this week’s Jew News Review. So, cast away any doubts you had, and say hello to this week’s edition.
We start this week with a sad note, and a fond farewell to John Lewis, a true patriot and titan of the civil rights movement, and our last living connection to the march on Selma. His shoes will be difficult to fill, but while not one person may be able to do so, the multitudes of those he inspired during his journey here on earth, to paraphrase MLK, will surely help bend the arc of the moral universe toward justice. In his own words, from a recent twitter:
“Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month, or a year, it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.”Now for the news, courtesy of The Forward:
– Jews with guns, trained to protect temple worshippers – Sad statement on our times, and not something i would support in my temple.
– Did Bari Weiss get “Cancelled” at the New York Times?! Say it aint so…..new moniker for NYT “all the Jews that don’t fit, should quit”.
– 3 Jews in Woodstock: Bob Dylan, Philip Roth and Phil Guston – interesting bit of insights on how the era and the venue impacted these 3 exceptional artists
– Schools out, but when is it back in? What’s the plan Stan? – Why is a plan taking so long?
– The horrible killing of Ari Gershman in the Sierras – What madness.
– Who the hell is Amir Haskell? Read about it here!
– Will the high holidays come with a pay wall? What’s a pay wall you ask? Not telling. Read on.
– Senator Cory Booker speaks to The Forward, pushing his police reform bill – His message to Jews: unite with Blacks to help sustain the momentum for social justice
– Dear Bintel says: “Better late than never” – Good advice in general
Bye for now. Don’t forget, this wednesday evening’s session with Bill Kristof. See links in previous week’s email below if you need it.
And hey, let’s be careful out there!
Brad out. https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/ShabbatNL-071720.pdf