Shalom to all!
My focus this last week shifted away from the dreary news of the day and onto a more peaceful and pleasant place….my backyard. For those into gardening, that’s nepeta in the foreground, followed by some jumbo iris, dianthus, beard’s tongue and some hydrangea bushes and a tree. Caught the sun filtering through trees in the background.
And here are the Jewish headlines of the week, courtesy of the Forward:
– Blacks and Jews rebuilding their 1960’s alliance? I am old enough to remember when Jews and Blacks worked together on issues of social and economic justice. Then there was a split, then Obama, and now what? Interesting historical insight into that question…
– Yes, you can support both Black Lives Matter and Israel – The BLM 2016 platform contained anti-zionist language, but that language is now gone from their website. Read further if you are torn on this issue.
– The Shofar an instrument of protest? Tekiah!!!!!
– Could social media bankrupt this Palestinian Hummus maker? Would you fire your own daughter from your company? This daughter is for the beans.
– The Talmud’s take on Black Lives Matter – (wonky warning)
– Are you becoming a pandemic slob? Dear Abbys has some advice for you.
– On Culture: Why Jews love Charles Dickens. Ah, but then there’s the Fagin thing….
All for now.
And hey, let’s be careful out there!
Brad out https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.forward.com/pdfs/ShabbatNL-061220.pdf