While the lame-stream media and cable cowards continue to avoid the obvious, the JNR will not! Courage is the call, and the JNR proudly calls this election for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris! Happy birthday Joe! And Congratulations America! Around 74 million of us chose decency over destruction, while another 70 million of us inexplicably chose a proven sociopath. So go ahead and pop that bottle of champagne that has been sitting on ice for far too long, and bask in the glory and grace of poll workers who did their job honorably and the local officials who upheld the rule of law and persevered through the lame and despicable attacks by the orange turd and his sycophants. While I am proud that around 77% of our fellow Jews supported Biden, there are many disturbing results (based on exit polling) that will be topics of punditry for some time, but for now, chill out and finish that champagne. My key take-away as a Jew is that human decency won out over meanness and cruelty. And if you feel the urge to gloat, recall the meanings of the Hebrew word tzedek (compassion, charity, justice) to help overcome that urge, as we will need a lot of tzedek to repair our broken and divided politics. Good luck Joe!
And now, without further ado or any recount, here is the Jew News of the week, courtesy of The Forward:
– An essay on being home-sick for NYC – Meh
– Don’t Gloat if your guy wins?! – Jodi’s editorial on how to be a good winner where she reminds us of the Torah’s saying, “What is hateful to you, do not do to others”
– Fear and resilience in Jewish Vienna – The terrorist attack took place in the historic jewish area of Vienna, putting a scare into the community
– Israeli view: Donald who? – A view that most Israelis want a return to a strong America that leads in the world, not just guns and rhetoric
– Historic parallels: Assassination of Yitzchak Rabin (25th anniversary) and Gedaliah Ben Ahikam (582 BCE) – The latter Jewish leader was assassinated by a former army officer named, and this is not made up, Ishmael Ben Netanyahu.
– What do King Solomon, Baruch Spinoza, RBG, Gertrude Stein and Gwyneth Paltrow have in common? This is pretty funny!
– Election 2020: The new Four Questions (with answers!) – Worth a read. My fifth question: Why did more Muslims vote for Trump than Jews?
– In Judaism, even God respects the vote! We might all sound like authorities, but we are not authoritarian!
All for now, and hey, let’s be careful out there!
Brad out. https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.forward.com/pdfs/110620-2.pdf