Shabbat Shalom! Hey!
My Babka dough is in the fridge, doing whatever dough is suppose to do i think. And I am now one step closer to claiming bragging rights to this year’s, and our first ever, “Great Un-British Babka Baking Challenge”. This is partly a tease to one of this week’s most popular stories which you can read about in the attached. Despite the stresses associated with this week’s news cycle, I found great comfort in the selections in this week’s JNR, and I hope you do as well. I will also find great comfort indulging in the great babka soon to explode from my oven. After all, as the author on the babka piece notes, there is nothing like ingesting 800 calories of babka “sliced thicker than Timothee Chalamet’s neck” to feed, calm and nourish your soul. Amen. Sandy and I are also finding great comfort and cultural nourishment from a new to us BBC show called “Silk”, available on Amazon Prime.
One final note, thanks to the hundreds of congratulatory notes on our first anniversary edition! Our staff are still in celebration mode, and anxiously awaiting our swag t-shirt delivery. Stay tuned for more updates on that front.
Now, onto the news, that everyone has been asking for, courtesy of The Forward:
– Aaron Sorkin’s “Chicago 7” reviewed – Actually, more like a review of Aaron Sorkin, one of my favorite screen writers, so yes, i guess that makes me a sucker for his over the top liberal righteousness. Guilty. But an excellent piece, worth the read nevertheless.
– Great British Baking Show screwing up Jewish breads? A must read! Excerpt: “Savor the palpable pit that will form in your stomach and remain there for at least 24 hours.”
– Orthodox neighborhoods getting slighted on Covid tests – Who would think any Jews would score low on tests?
– Trump messes with the wrong gal – Our own Leslie Stahl (Jewish native of Lynn, Mass) stands up to the orange schmuck on 60 minutes interview
– Even conservative Jews are picking on George Soros? Which only proves that even we, the chosen people, have a few assholes in the tribe.
– What else can the government do to combat campus antisemitism and anti-zionism? Get rid of the orange turd would be a good start, and that’s on us! Vote!
– A great father-daughter duo podcast born out of the pandemic – Another silver lining in the midst of this corona crap
– Deli food booming during the pandemic in San Fran? Can matzah ball soup, Reuben meatballs, and schmaltz aioli become a mainstay on american menus? Doubt it.
All for now. And hey, let’s be careful out there!
Brad out. https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.forward.com/102320.pdf