Yes peeps, Jew News continues unabated and undaunted. Virus shmirus! But please, take this seriously and don’t take any unnecessary risks. Top items for the week: – Doven in place! You thought i was kidding you? He that shall remain nameless is everywhere you let him in, so read all about the virtues of virtual dovening! And heed some of these great tips! (eg, dress the part , no pajamas!)
– Bar Mitzvah planned? You might need to cancel the party, but the spirit of the show must go on!
– Dating during a pandemic: don’t kiss but do tell!
– Are millennials now the adults in the room trying to convince the older boomers to take the virus seriously? OK Millennials! About time you did something useful!
– Diary of a day school mom: “my kid doesn’t think she needs pants”? Has she talked to my son who keeps losing his?
– A man on the street interview from 1918 during the Influenza epidemic. Interesting!
Well, we have placed a mask over the mezuzah on the front door, just in case. I know, I know, masks don’t help, but we need to be sure Moses hasn’t decided we need an eleventh plague. Consider this move the modern version of lamb’s blood on the doorpost.
So, what’s new with Jew News this week you ask? Here are some of this weeks gems: – Corona impacts: Shut down Shul? Say it aint so! Tough call for the Rabbis as usually during times of crisis, we want to pray together even more than usual!
– Finally, a consensus on what defines anti-semitism. Like we needed it.
– Corona a Jewish plot? Anything can be used for anti-semitic purposes i guess.
– The scoop from Ground Zero: Inside New Rochelle’s Corona Containment Zone
– Opinion: someone has a problem with Bernie, but at this point, who cares?
– The Schmooze: Behind the scenes with the Rabbi on “The Plot Against America”, the new series based on Philip Roth’s novel.
Sadly, we are returning to Sharon after a totally wonderful month in Shangra-la. Not many masks here today, but the Purell stations are busy. And Corona continues to dominate the news, even Jew News: – Don’t be kissing any Torahs or tearing any Chalahs, at least not in Temple. What you do in your own home is your business! Read about Corona’s impact on Jewish religious services
– Anti-semitic bullying: happening at a school or neighborhood near you. Read these heartfelt and hurtful confessions from victims of bullying.
– Biden “The Mensch” sees a surge in Jewish support. A few great anecdotes say a lot about how he relates to Jews and why they support him
.- Does Warren’s departure leave Sanders as the sole candidate for hope and change?
– Strike three for Israeli elections? Prospect of 2 state solution dimming? What next?
– On Culture:National Museum of Jewish American History goes belly up!
– On Culture: Jews built Montana? Who knew about Montana Jews? Now you will!
Curiously, many Leap Day customs have revolved around romance and marriage. Tradition holds that in 5th-century Ireland, St. Bridget lamented to St. Patrick that women were not allowed to propose marriage to men. So legend has it that St. Patrick designated the only day that does not occur annually, February 29, as a day on which women would be allowed to propose to men. In some places, Leap Day thus became known as Bachelor’s Day. This tradition hopped the Irish Sea to Scotland and England, where the British added a twist—if a man rejected a woman’s proposal, he owed her a debt of several pairs of fine gloves, perhaps to hide the fact that she did not have an engagement ring. In Greek tradition, however, it is considered bad luck to marry on Leap Day, and statistics suggest that Greek couples continue to take this superstition seriously.
Well, another shit show debate for the dems, as we slip further into the point of having to love and support our crazy Jewish uncle to unseat our asshole president. Probably too late for Mike, but i am getting to like the idea of seeing Warren and her take-down skills on the debate stage taking down the asshole. Nothing could be sweeter than to see a smart and capable woman take him down. This week in Jew News: – A polish Jewish village history retold from a surviving family member – amazing reminder of how our heritage was nearly wiped out
– Elizabeth Warren our new Moses? Majority of Rabbis apparently donating to her cause
– More on Bernie and the Jews: Bernie good for Jews? How religious is he? Should he speak at AIPAC?
– On Culture: Why Jo Jo Rabbit is heading to a school room near you
Carrie, David, Michael, Kalie, my brother and his crew, all joining us for a pool-side, post-shabbat BBQ this evening! Here are your Jew News headlines for the week: – #tweeyourshabbat provides a communal platform for sharing shabbat recipes from around the world
– Orthodox rabbi performs first gay marriage (this is news?!)
– Two old jews walk into a debate-this is no joke
– Bernie says he is proud to be Jewish, but do voters care? Should they? Why aren’t Jews lining up to support him?
– Opinion: Two jews fight over the oval office with two versions of american judaism and the stakes are pretty high
– On Culture: Why Theodor Herzl, the father of zionism, still matters
This weeks Jew News in review comes direct from sunny East Tecuvah Drive, Palm Springs, where we are on sabbatical for another 3 weeks in order to defrost our frozen new england appendages. So, from under the palm trees, and away from the ice and snow, here is your latest edition: – What to do if you experience anti-semitic harassment on the street (no, does not include any Jew Jitsu!)
– A trial pitting orthodox jews vs the “white private school” community – please settle this case!
– Some new updates/translations to historical documents discovered buried at a concentration camp
– Canadian yeshivas creating a confederacy of dunces? Graduates dont know about the St Lawrence river or the theory of evolution!
– Amazon drops white nationalist books – Bezos tap dances around the 3rd rail of free speech
– Jewish superpower myths and the connection to modern anti-semitism
Shabbat Shalom fellow friends and hebrews! Oy, the state of our beloved union is not so good. This stinking pile of poop has been, and will continue to be, a wretched awful and contemptible human being with no interest in unifying the country. I fear it is hopeless, and alas, our once proud beacon of a country has entered a deeply dark period where the truth and facts don’t matter, the ends always justify the means, bullying is acceptable behavior, constitutional balance of power is a joke, racist blowhards receive medals of honor, and one party has made a Faustian bargain that could lead us into the proverbial shitter. Oh woe is us. But Jew news will continue unabated. Here is a quick summary of the stuff we jews (and some gentiles) are reading about: – A Jewish bachelor in LA finds his perfect mate by hosting Shabbat dinners
– Harry Potter translated into Yiddish! Oy! Example: Emeric the Evil as Emrikh der Umerlekher (literally: “Emeric the dishonest”)
– Beware of the “Rabbi gift scam”
– Remembering Kirk Douglas: Yes, he was Jewish!
– Opinion: Bernie aint the Jewish Savior (I like Mike!)
– Opinion: Can we trust the media reporting about Jewish news and affairs?
– On Culture: The origins of anti-semitic publishing (and it’s not Mein Kampf or Henry Ford!)
Hello everyone! Shameful stuff going on in our Senate this week as Republicans continue their Faustian support of the worlds most deplorable human. And while impeachment may be dominating secular news, Jew news this week is mindful of the liberation from the camps as well as the latest Israeli peace plan. To wit: – Poignant story of the burial of a holocaust survivor on the eve of liberation day, and some interesting burial rituals (Hevra Kadisha) among a more orthodox sect where men and women of the group help prepare the body for the ritual burial
.- Trumps Mideast peace plan: three perspectives. Should we give peace a chance?
– Teaching about sex on instagram: an interview with an orthodox “intimacy coach”
– On Culture: Remembering Jason Polan. Who you may ask? An artist who tried to sketch every person in New York City, with a studio in Taco Bell Union Square
While Jews and Gentiles alike focused on impeachment news this week, there were some interesting Forward stories as well, summarized below: – Mental illness and anti-semitism: are the crazies really insane? Is the Pope catholic?
– We need non-jews to stand up to anti-semitism. Just ask this holocaust survivor!
– Where’s Waldo? Is he studying the Talmud? Or lining up his date card?
– Kafka’s “The Trial” on trial in Poland, gets cancelled in US production: skip if polish politics are not your thing.
– Resurgence of Ladino language? What the heck is Ladino anyway?
– On Culture: who was the first Jewish actor to win an Oscar? Hint: it wasn’t Jackie Cooper, or Joaquin Phoenix.
– On Bagels: Forward staff reveal their favorite bagel boulangerie with a decidedly New York bias. Sorry Molly, Boichicks not on the list, but there was a montreal mentioned. Brooklyn Ben, please weigh in?