This weeks Jew News in review comes direct from sunny East Tecuvah Drive, Palm Springs, where we are on sabbatical for another 3 weeks in order to defrost our frozen new england appendages. So, from under the palm trees, and away from the ice and snow, here is your latest edition:
– What to do if you experience anti-semitic harassment on the street (no, does not include any Jew Jitsu!)
– A trial pitting orthodox jews vs the “white private school” community – please settle this case!
– Some new updates/translations to historical documents discovered buried at a concentration camp
– Canadian yeshivas creating a confederacy of dunces? Graduates dont know about the St Lawrence river or the theory of evolution!
– Amazon drops white nationalist books – Bezos tap dances around the 3rd rail of free speech
– Jewish superpower myths and the connection to modern anti-semitism
– Harry Potter Yiddish edition: Sold out in 48 hours! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/02.14.20.pdf
Shabbat Shalom fellow friends and hebrews!
Oy, the state of our beloved union is not so good. This stinking pile of poop has been, and will continue to be, a wretched awful and contemptible human being with no interest in unifying the country. I fear it is hopeless, and alas, our once proud beacon of a country has entered a deeply dark period where the truth and facts don’t matter, the ends always justify the means, bullying is acceptable behavior, constitutional balance of power is a joke, racist blowhards receive medals of honor, and one party has made a Faustian bargain that could lead us into the proverbial shitter. Oh woe is us.
But Jew news will continue unabated. Here is a quick summary of the stuff we jews (and some gentiles) are reading about:
– A Jewish bachelor in LA finds his perfect mate by hosting Shabbat dinners
– Harry Potter translated into Yiddish! Oy! Example: Emeric the Evil as Emrikh der Umerlekher (literally: “Emeric the dishonest”)
– Beware of the “Rabbi gift scam”
– Remembering Kirk Douglas: Yes, he was Jewish!
– Opinion: Bernie aint the Jewish Savior (I like Mike!)
– Opinion: Can we trust the media reporting about Jewish news and affairs?
– On Culture: The origins of anti-semitic publishing (and it’s not Mein Kampf or Henry Ford!)
California here we come!
Hello everyone! Shameful stuff going on in our Senate this week as Republicans continue their Faustian support of the worlds most deplorable human. And while impeachment may be dominating secular news, Jew news this week is mindful of the liberation from the camps as well as the latest Israeli peace plan. To wit:
– Poignant story of the burial of a holocaust survivor on the eve of liberation day, and some interesting burial rituals (Hevra Kadisha) among a more orthodox sect where men and women of the group help prepare the body for the ritual burial
.- Trumps Mideast peace plan: three perspectives. Should we give peace a chance?
– Teaching about sex on instagram: an interview with an orthodox “intimacy coach”
– On Culture: Remembering Jason Polan. Who you may ask? An artist who tried to sketch every person in New York City, with a studio in Taco Bell Union Square
Shabbat Shalom everyone! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/01.31.20.pdf
From the Editors of The Forward, here are some headlines of the week:
– Wearing your Jewishness with pride: 23 American Jews give their views
– Hey, Hey, Ho Ho, Don’t let those Yiddish librarians go!
– Christian dilemma: what to do with your dog when the rapture comes – Find a nice Jewish home of course!
– Jan 27 Auschwitz liberation’s 75th anniversary and International Holocaust Memorial Day: hear from a few survivors who will be attending the event
– Holocaust education needs a boost: Surveys show wide gap in knowledge in High Schools across America (2/3 of Millennials do not know what Auschwitz is, eg!)
– World Zionest Congress elections secured with Blockchain technology! You can vote too, only costs $7.50! link here: https://www.zionistelection.org/election/2a3b7a80-ba00-42ec-957e-c0375167a065
– On Culture: Jeff Goldblum, Marc Maron and Terry Gross share their Jewish roots with Henry Gates Jr on January 21 episode of PBS’s “Finding Your Roots”
Shabbat Shalom one and all! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/01.24.20.pdf
While Jews and Gentiles alike focused on impeachment news this week, there were some interesting Forward stories as well, summarized below:
– Mental illness and anti-semitism: are the crazies really insane? Is the Pope catholic?
– We need non-jews to stand up to anti-semitism. Just ask this holocaust survivor!
– Where’s Waldo? Is he studying the Talmud? Or lining up his date card?
– Kafka’s “The Trial” on trial in Poland, gets cancelled in US production: skip if polish politics are not your thing.
– Resurgence of Ladino language? What the heck is Ladino anyway?
– On Culture: who was the first Jewish actor to win an Oscar? Hint: it wasn’t Jackie Cooper, or Joaquin Phoenix.
– On Bagels: Forward staff reveal their favorite bagel boulangerie with a decidedly New York bias. Sorry Molly, Boichicks not on the list, but there was a montreal mentioned. Brooklyn Ben, please weigh in?
Shabbat Shalom, hey! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/01.17.20.pdf
This weeks highlights from the editors of Forward:
– A Jewish immigrant love story of an ancient Jewish mariner and a sewing machine-less seamstress? A Jewish rescue mission?
– Jews march over Brooklyn Bridge united in protesting anti-semitism: a little singing, a little walking, some kvetching and some debating. Sounds like a typical weekend at my house
.- Social Anti-semitism: what is it? Are there historical parallels? I’m so confused…
– On culture: Elizabeth Wurtzel passed away this week. A short essay on her life and writings.
– Haredi women secret talmud scholars? Wow, next thing you know they will want to vote!
Shabbat Shalom everyone! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/01.10.20_edit.pdf
The madness continued this week with an assault on a Jewish family in Monsey celebrating Chanukah. Some interesting perspectives shared in this weeks Forward:
– In Monsey, an act of anti-semitic violence does not deter a torah celebration
– Should Jews arm themselves to protect their community?
– Don’t be too quick to compare today’s anti-Semitism to Nazi Germany
– Wear that Kippah with pride!
– Finally, a feminist interpretation of Talmud, and instagram ready!
Happy New Year to all! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/01.03.20.pdf
A few of the more interesting blurbs:
– “Little Jewish Women?”: A timely story of Louis May Alcott’s Jewish lineage and a brief history of Jews in Portugal
– Christmas tree envy? read on
– A 1913 motion picture starring a Rabbi: A Jewish Star is Born?
– A no-fry Latke recipe? Sacre Bleu!
– A tale of two Chanukahs: religious vs nationalistic – Maccabee I vs Maccabee II
Happy New Year everyone! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/12.27.19.pdf
Shabbat Shalom, ey! (Canadian version)
Some interesting Jew news to share this week, heading into the Chanukah Choliday. Cheers!
– Going for Chinese on Christmas? Not the only custom among Jews looking for something to do that day. Chess anyone? The author shares the derivation of this and other weird customs on that day.
– A Capella for the Jewish holidays is now mainstream, not just a feature of one of our Seders! Read up on this popular trend, and here is a link to Sandy’s favorite Jewish take on “Uptown Funk”: https://youtu.be/JVHvQ-LsvIw
– Disney gets Chanukah right (well, almost) in episode of Elena of Avalon
– Brooklyn survivor group celebrates Chanukah in style, and they share their amazing holocaust stories.
Chappy Chanukah and a merry Christmas, and a happy new year to all! Another A Capella link to “Shake it Off” and help celebrate: https://youtu.be/NoHp2Rq8sMI
Not a good news week for Jews. The anti-semitic killings in Jersey City have the Hasidic community there reeling in pain. Several stories this week on the community and the killings.
A few other notables:
– For Leonard Cohen fans, a post-humous album released and reviewed
– Trumps silly executive order on Jews as a nationality
– An annoying story exploring anti-semitism in “A Christmas Carol”. Was Dickens an anti-semite?
Have a great weekend everyone! https://assets.forward.com/pdfs/12.13.19.pdf