The most remarkable part of the VP debate for me was clearly the fly that nested on Pence’s head for about 2 glorious minutes while he nattered on about something to do with law and order. The craziness of 2020 just marches on into more madness. You really can’t make this shit up. I think the last 4 years represent a manifestation of the Chaos theory which in mechanics and mathematics is the study of apparently random or unpredictable behavior in systems governed by deterministic laws. I pray this chaos will lead to order on November 3rd.
We welcome 2 new members to the weekly tribe, both long time friends of the family, Barbara Kramer and Jeff Davis. Shalom!Note to you all, please feel free to recommend others, we are a free and open, but remarkably exclusive group. You are welcome to forward along to others as well.
Before we get to the News of the Jews for the week, I thought i would share a Sukkoth mitzvah I was happy to be a part of this week. It happened of all places in the Shaws Cobbs Corner parking lot, where i was confronted by an unusual man asking an unusual question: “Are you Jewish? Would you like to do a mitzvah?” Of course I would! Here is a selfie depicting the event i took after saying a few prayers with the lulav and etrog with my new friends.
Now, for the Jew News of the week, courtesy of The Forward:
– Flygate: Talmudic connections to insects annoying leaders? Titus never should have questioned the power of a gnat in the hands of the almighty
– A Jewish Poet gets the Nobel prize for Literature – Mazel Tov Louise Gluck! Former Pulitzer Prize winner, and recognized poet/writer, it never ceases to amaze me how much Jews have accomplished and contributed to the general good despite being such a small portion of the population.
– She survived two pandemics and at age 102, still a political activist! An inspiring story of Beatrice Lumpkin, east European immigrant still fighting the good fight, now focusing her efforts on voter suppression: “Racism lives on, antisemitism lives on,” she said. “It’s always important for Jews to vote.”
– Year round Sukkahs: LA dealing with homeless – “If you won’t build us enough shelters, we will”. Pretty pathetic story of LA’s homeless taking matters into their own hands.
– Our maskless President violating Jewish medical ethics? Skip this one, pretty lame IMHO.
– On Culture: The NHL and Zayde wisdom? A new Flyers draftee has the improbable name, Zayde Wisdom, and no, I am not making that up. He is not Jewish, but he should be.
– A Hasidic reporter standing up for social distancing: hmmm, think it might catch on with the rest of the Jewish nut jobs in Brooklyn and elsewhere? Read all about this self-taught journalist making and writing headlines in Orthodox communities and beyond
All for now, and hey, let’s be careful out there.
Brad out. https://assets.forward.com/ShabbatNL-100920-2.pdf